With just two months to go til CONNECT 2018, we know there are still some folks who haven’t registered yet – and this may be because you have a few lingering questions about the conference. So here are some Frequently Asked Questions (and their answers!) … Don’t see your question here? Just contact Mark H and he’ll be happy to help!
Does this really take place on a Friday & Saturday?
Yup, it does – that’s not a typo. We know this means that you might need to take an extra day off from work, but trust us, it will be WORTH IT. Your conference registration includes
- 10 hours of taiko workshops (4 workshops @2.5 hours each)
- Admission to our Taiko Open Mic Night
- Presentations and discussion sessions with our instructors and other special guests
- The opportunity to save on shipping costs for quality taiko equipment from ASANO TAIKO U.S.
- And LOTS of great opportunities to connect, including informal lunchtime roundtable discussions and optional night owl/early bird activities
Yeah, ok, but do you offer a single-day registration if I can only come on Saturday?
Sorry, but no. CONNECT 2018 is all about a shared experience and building community. We want to be sure that everyone who registers gets to experience all the great stuff we’ve got planned. We know everyone is busy, which is why we’ve streamlined and simplified the registration process. This way, you can take all that time you saved not having to choose workshops or book a hotel room and spend it drumming instead!
If you’re a local who can’t attend the conference but you’re interested in joining us for Taiko Open Mic night, we will have a limited number of tickets available – stay tuned!
I’m curious about my housing options. Tell me more…
We know that taiko conferences can get expensive, so we’ve booked a block of rooms in the UMD dorms. We’re not only offering you the chance to relive your youth, but the cost of your registration will cover your housing for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights – that’s THREE nights for about the same price as you’d pay for a single night at a local hotel. Plus, the dorms offer plenty of extra time for taiko camaraderie! If you’d rather stay in a hotel (or you’re bring a taiko player who is under 18), we’ve also got some rooms waiting at a nearby Marriott – all the info you need to book is here.
I’m vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free/have other dietary restrictions. Can you feed me?
You bet! All of our meals will be served in UMD’s dining halls, and they’re used to handling of all kinds of dietary needs. If you have more specific concerns, don’t hesitate to contact Mark H.
Can I buy one of the super-cool CONNECT shirts even if I’m not attending the conference?
Yup, we’ll be adding them to our online shop soon – you can pre-order a shirt through early July to reserve your size for delivery in August.
Help! I’m lost!
Don’t panic! We got you covered. We have maps and addresses to help you navigate the wilds of UMD.
- Easton Hall (a.k.a. The Dorms): 3917 Denton Service Lane, College Park, MD 20742
- The Diner (a.k.a. The Food): 4121 Farm Dr, College Park, MD 20742.
- The Clarice (a.k.a. The Drums): 8270 Alumni Dr, College Park, MD 20742
- Interior Map [pdf]
- UMD [pdf] (a.k.a The Campus): College Park, MD 20742