Warm (though distant) Greetings, Everyone!
I am somewhat without words for the moment. I was caught as off-guard as anyone when the world shut down and I went from trying to figure out a line-up for a busy season of performances to trying to figure out which groceries have the best shelf life.
As I come to a place of acceptance, I still harbor the need to provide … SOMETHING for my students, my taiko family and the broader community. Largely, I have the MOST inefficient skill-set to face the “current abnormal” (I refuse to call it the “new normal” as it implies both longevity and business-as-usual!). But, luckily, I am surrounded by people with amazing adaptability and energy for moving forward. Inspired by those people, I am determined to do what I can.
A few quick updates…
- Intro Workshops for April 19th and 26th are both CANCELLED. We will be sure to get new workshops scheduled as soon as we can get back to the studio!
- The Tsuru For Solidarity March and Rally set for June 6th is POSTPONED. We’ll share the new date for this event as soon as it has been set (May not be til Summer 2021, but stay tuned)
- CONNECT 2020 is currently STILL SCHEDULED for August 1&2. There is of course the possibility that it will need to be postponed, but that discussion is still a few weeks out as we all wait to see how the world changes. In the meantime, deadlines for early registration and full refunds are extended indefinitely until we have more information.
For the time being…
I will work on my virtual game! I am fortunate to have not only a huge backlog of videos from recitals, performances, etc. that I can share, but also space in my house where I can play taiko AND a garage where I can make drums and stands. I also have the materials to make at least a dozen taiko on hand and MANY drums that need re-heading! I intend to put all these resources to work for the duration and be ready to come out on the other side of this pandemic SWINGING (a bachi… at a large drum. I’m not a fighter!)
Please stay connected!
Even though we can’t be together in person, the Mark H Taiko School lives on!
- Check out our newly-hatched Taiko Voices blog featuring members of the Mark H Taiko community from long-time players to newer students!
- Visit my YouTube channel for past performances by my students, Miyako Taiko and others (with exponentially more content coming soon!)
- Follow me on social media: I’m MarkHTaiko on both Instagram and on Facebook
- And, of course, feel free to explore my website – there are quite a few items to discover!
And stay tuned!
I will do my best to keep y’all up-to-date as we generate new content online and plan for the future. In the meantime, everyone please take care of yourselves and loved ones, continue to connect at a responsible distance and show your support for all those on the front lines – medical care workers and other essential fields. Try to patronize local businesses and services much as you can. And, if possible, show some love for your favorite artists and entertainers to make sure that we all have a vibrant world to return to once we all get through this crazy time.
Be Well, Stay Strong, Move Ahead,
— Mark H
If you’d like to support The Mark H Rooney Taiko School and its various future programs, please consider a donation of any size. Greatly appreciated!
Donate via PayPal
Donate via Venmo